Sunday, June 2, 2013

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE



I know from experience that the best things in life are free. But today, that understanding was reinforced.

Walking back towards my place after work, I passed Uda's used bookstore (see my notes). As if drawn by magnet, I found myself steered towards stacks of literature books. Luck was on my side... I found five great used books in "pristine" condition. Uda was happy to exchange them with a little bit over ten dollars..!!


I thought, that's it, a perfect day. Could not get any better. First, Ibu Painah, the pecel seller lady who brightened up my day... and now this : the five great inexpensive books...

Boy, was I wrong. I came across another testimony (that the best things in life are free or cheap).

To get back to my apartment I have to walk along the canal (just like I did earlier). And I came across a security guard - satpam (in bahasa Indonesia) - who just sat there, enjoying his cigarette, leaning against the back of a beautiful sculpture ( a creation of Sjahrial Koto ). On his other hand was his handphone. He was smiling and texting at the same time. It was an ordinary event, a mundane 'exercise'. Yet, something about the moment was too wonderful. The stars were out, the air was warm, he seemed to be oblivious of anything else around him. Either he was in love with the one he texted to, or, he was so tired that this short break was recharging him so. He did not have to sit in a cafe or restaurant - in fact, he did not have to spend much, yet he clearly was happy. At equilibrium.

When I asked him whether I could take a picture of him, he smiled and said "Why?". I replied :"You looked calm, I'd like to capture this." Strangely, he appeared to understand my bizzare answer. When I look again at this picture, I am glad I did it. I will always remember this special day in it's ordinary-ness.

Thank You God, for letting me see this.


No comments:

Post a Comment